Ext.Net 1.2 and Mono 2.10 on Ubuntu Oneiric   February 3rd, 2012

We have upgraded all the code of OpenPetra to .net 4.0.
We also upgraded to Ext.Net 1.2.

There were two bugs in Mono 2.10, which were show-stoppers:
http://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2505 was a problem with the mono compiler, in Mono 2.10.x
This was fixed in mono master.

So I tried to build mono from master, but then I had problems with fastcgi, while xsp4 was serving the content correctly:
This was also fixed in mono master.

Below is a link to a tar.gz file, that contains the build of Mono, with mod_mono and xsp, at the beginning of February 2012.

I wanted to use lighttpd and fastcgi with Mono and Ext.Net, but that did not work.
The error that I got was similar as to described here, but without a solution that works for me:
It works fine with xsp4.

I then tried with mod_mono and apache2:
I came across this issue http://forums.ext.net/showthread.php?12348-404-Not-Found-for-a-few-resources-requests, that the resources cannot be loaded. The solution from that thread also helped me:
Add CleanResourceUrl = “false” to your .aspx file:

<ext:ResourceManager  runat="server" CleanResourceUrl="false" />
So here are my configuration steps for Ext.Net with Mono and Apache2:

This works with Ubuntu Oneiric 64 bit (11.04). But it might work on other Ubuntu/Debian version as well. I have also used it on CentOS.

apt-get install apache2
cd /opt
wget http://download.pokorra.de/mono/ubuntu/mono.tar.gz
for 32 bit: wget http://download.pokorra.de/mono/ubuntu32/mono.tar.gz
tar xzf mono.tar.gz
cd /usr/lib/apache2/modules/
wget http://download.pokorra.de/mono/ubuntu/mod_mono.so
for 32 bit: wget http://download.pokorra.de/mono/ubuntu32/mod_mono.so
cd /etc/apache2/mods-enabled
wget http://download.pokorra.de/mono/ubuntu/mod_mono.conf
# note that mod_mono.conf contains this line:
# MonoServerPath /opt/mono-2.10-git/bin/mod-mono-server4
vi /etc/init.d/apache2
# search for LANG, and replace with this line:

ENV="env -i LANG=en_GB PATH=/opt/mono-2.10-git/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin"

Mono will create a directory /var/www/.mono which should not be public.
In your apache site configuration file, add just before 

           Deny from all

cd /var/www
wget http://download.pokorra.de/mono/ubuntu/extnet-sample-mono.tar.gz
tar xzf extnet-sample-mono.tar.gz
chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www
/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

See the result here:

This is the demo for the Desktop from Ext.Net 1.2, with a slight modification in Default.aspx and Desktop.aspx for the ResourceManager as described above.

Tags: , , , ,
This entry was posted on Friday, February 3rd, 2012 at 11:22 pm and is filed under Software Development. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.Both comments and pings are currently closed.

One Response

May 13th, 2012 at 11:01 am
Thun Says:

thank you so much